Thursday, May 9, 2013

please tell me i'm good, tell me i'm wonderful


What can I say, we as humans love our 'atta-boys'. We thrive on compliments and being recognized. It drives us to be better. Sometimes it can get carried away and like Buddha once taught, "there needs to be a balance and moderation in all things". Maybe looking for it too much can hinder us. It could be like a drug and have the same effects like how you absolutely have to have that compliment or else you will not function clearly. I don't imagine one could ever OD from compliments though. I learned through some hard lessons that recognition is best from within. The fact that YOU know when you are doing crazy awesome and there are times where YOU know you need to spit your hands and go to work. In basic training I understood and embraced the 'hidden message' that we must reach deep from within and realize that we don't need outward compliments to feeling better about ourselves. They would shout at us like we were scum and were worthless, but what they were trying to do was piss us off enough to realize that 'hey! I'm am stronger than I think'. That was the thought in my head all the while I was doing push ups until they got tired, or scrubbing the floor, or doing midnight ruck marches, or low crawling through sand with mortars going off, yeah anyway the list goes on. Self recognition is like our own Honda generator that doesn't need the grid. Although generators do need fuel, maybe that could be compared to food, because without food we would die, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment