Monday, June 3, 2013

a letter to my mom


Dear Mom,

If somehow you are able to read this from Heaven, I would just like to say how much I love and miss you. Not just me but dad and Tash. You have given us so much love with the way you raised Tash and I. When dad was out to sea you held the fort with birthdays, church, long road trips for vacations - EVERYTHING. I cannot imagine how you did it all and I thank you so much for that. You always taught us to never settle for less and to push ourselves. You are someone I can always count on. I remember talking to you whenever I needed someone to talk to. We have experienced hard times and cried together and the good ones and laughed. I always think of this song by Bette Midler. It's your love song with dad which was sung at your funeral. I can't listen to it without crying like a baby. It has always played at the most coincidental moments or better yet the Lord knew when I needed that extra strength. It came on the radio once right as I turned the car on to park it. Another time was in basic training, I was having a really rough day and some soldier was singing it in a mocking manner but I took it as a tender mercy that you are there for me. Its been about fourteen years since you have passed. You were in a coma at the hospital and there was nothing that could be done. People drove and flew in from all over to be together. There were people from church to mourn with us silently while you were in your current state. The air was stale that day with overcast. By noon that day your room was filled with friends and family.  We were playing a few games of cards. We were starting to bring a little joy and life into the room. During a game you slipped off quietly around noon. There was a pause while someone ran to get a doctor. Within ten minutes you were pronounced dead. A chaplin who is a good man sat us down and talked on things beyond the veil and how your Savior is with you. You lived a very good life mom. Things are not the same here, but don't worry though. Tash and I are still growing and dad is still moving along. I know this is only temporary. I guess I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and all, also to let you know that I will never forget you and look forward to seeing you again someday.

With love your son,

Mark

 

No comments:

Post a Comment