Saturday, May 4, 2013

may we grow to be a tree



Every once in while my family and I visit my grandfather. It started out with just me visiting him when I was working for a summer in Phoenix. My dad gave me his number and I was put back into contact with him. It started as a weekly visit to go out to eat, walk the temple grounds, and get ice cream. We had some neat endeavors. He is very ripe in his old age and seldom gets visitors. Once he asked me that he wanted to see the city at night. So we drove from one end to the other. His eyes lit up with excitement and wonder as the city he knew in younger days was no more but a monstrous gathering of belt routes and high towers. In the temple visitor center all the missionaries would gather around him as he would always have stories to tell. They marveled at his descriptions of his past while being out in the middle of the desert, or in the army. He always likes to reiterate to me what to order him for dessert, even though I have ordered the same thing countless times. It has been almost three years now and we still visit him, though he is weaker. That still does not stop him from having a good time. This one's for you Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment