Friday, May 17, 2013

i want to cook my goose


Those were the words that came to mind once I beheaded my goose on that late winter afternoon. Breathing in and out the Idahoan semi-frigid air feeling instant remorse of killing a living creature bigger than a fly. My friend got them for free from a ranch north of town and we were looking to become more self-reliant by killing our own food. I thought of this as a great start to living off the grid. We did take it very seriously and even said a prayer before taking their lives. After they were killed, we plucked them then washed them. Later that night I felt the inner tug to have my goose cooked for Easter dinner otherwise I would forever have this regret of killing something in vain. I learned a powerful insight to how our world works. Everything has to die so that other things can live. The sun dies day by day to give off light and heat whereas plants die so that animals can live. Animals die so that we can live and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment