Wednesday, June 12, 2013

talking for two

Alright so let me share with you how I started writing my book. I commenced my project with dialogues, which also happens to be my arch nemesis. I knew that in order to come off conqueror I needed to grab dialogues by the horns and giver'ale. So I tackled that first. With other books in the past I have shied away from those moments of composing words between two or three people. It can intimidating to try to think of a fictional conversation. Regardless of the challenge I broke the barriers of worrying and wrote down anything that came to my mind. Imagine it like jumping in the lake or bungee jumping, don't just stand there - JUMP! It was a thrill like throwing a grenade and dropping to the ground to hear the boom. Your characters will automatically develop as you give them lines to use. Try to picture the scene playing out and throw in phrases. I had to remind myself that no one else would read it so that took the pressure off of 'making it good' but to just let go of the wheel and be coo. I did have to keep remember one important rule in all this, this rule will save the world of film, literature, and/or art, it is very key and cannot ever be overlooked...have fun. If I wasn't having fun, the inspiration was lost. Believe me, you know when you are having fun. The ideas will pour out like a crystal clear waterfall in Hawaii (not sure where that image came from). You will be surprised with yourself and feel like you can't keep up, like you're the reader not knowing the outcome. When you feel that awful stump of inspiration is when you treat it like work. It starts to feel like a chore and then you get bored. Having fun is crucial even when you have a deadline. Just have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment