Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 1: Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World

This song used to scare me. What is a three year old to think of it? The beginning intro shoots out these jazzy synth notes like lasers into a deep distant black hole. That produces an enigmatic mystery to me. It also reminds me of being outside in the dark around midnight and looking into the wide black open sky. Those two notes that repeat each other give a soothing feel with that chime once in a while peaking through between the clouds. I heard this played most frequently when we lived in San Diego. There was some negative association involved during my exposure to this music. My mom and the other neighborhood moms would gather their children and meet at my aunt's house (which was like a mansion) for daycare. There was at least 15 kids! The mothers would organize us in shifts having some awake and playing while others took a nap. Anyways, back to the bad vibe, my aunt had three or four full size dogs. I was in the crib with this song blasting through the house while one of the big black labs was freaking out. To me it was a monstrous beast destroying the room I was in, jumping and sounding off hysterically. His tail kept knocking everything off the tables and his scared beady eyes anxiously trying to find an exit. He freaked me out even more when he'd whine and howl. I was boxed in this crib while he was on a rampage. Almost like a diver in a cage with sharks swimming about. Now that I look back, someone just forgot that the dog was locked in the room. He probably needed to go relieve himself. To this day, I somewhat shift in my seat with a hint of uneasiness, but overall I thrive with inspiration when I hear this and their other numbers as well. Mad props to these guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment