Friday, June 14, 2013

my scatter brain


So, as of now the dialogue has been tamed and drawn out, the order of events are in place, ink has met the paper, first round edits have been applied and now.....the query letter. That single page that everyone dreads. Too little info or heavy blue waves of information surging at those inquired to read, will be rejected. On that note, I sit in a life raft stranded in the ocean waiting it out trying to piece together crucial phrases, sentences, key words to pop out in order to make them come back for more. So much information with so little time. All you are doing is creating a theatrical trailer for your book, article, memoir whatever it is, how would you want it to look on the big screen? That's what I keep telling myself anyway to calm myself down and focus. You are pitching an idea to someone. How and where do you begin? How do you conform to simplicity. Lately I've been practicing with movies that I know so well (front and back) and try to sum it up in a few words. I've been told that it is supposed to be the main core of the story, what does your character desire the most? Why should they want to read on? What stands out from the thousands of other book proposals?

No comments:

Post a Comment