Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 5: Earth, Wind, and Fire - That's the Way of the World

The sunset lit up the Albertson's store front. A group including myself were waiting for more to arrive in the parking lot. The plan was to take a trip to the university the next state over to see a friend perform in an orchestra. I stood there waiting with scrambled thoughts and preoccupations on something else. My mind was not in it's current surroundings while others were socializing. A car pulls up next to us and there she was. Getting out of the car, I see a work of art, beauty herself. Time stood still and at that moment, I realized that what I knew right there changed what I knew before. The thought of someone so beautiful entering into my existence crashed at me. There was almost a panic of what to do. How would I approach her? I've done this a couple of times with others but with her it felt like all the books and rules were thrown out. Shoot! I'm stuck. Recalling advice from my brother, I remembered something key about all this, that was to "be coo." We as a group had our laughs and did converse on various topics on our way to the school, but I felt that my fruition was still not met. Getting to the college destiny and the alignment of the planets made it possible by coincidence to have us sit right next to each other. I knew that this sort of thing doesn't happen often and I'd be a fool to not take advantage of this so I simply opened my mouth and out came the right words. It was just the two of us. We were in a sold out show, and yet I felt I was alone with her, like a spotlight shined above us with no one else in the auditorium. There was a moment of silence, I guess it was a period for us to think of more things to talk on. I seized it to ask her a question which I wrote on her program guide. . . in French (she said she studied it in high school). Her reply was "what? Dumb white girl." I asked her if she wanted to hang out that Saturday. She gave a studious look then agreed with much acceptance. SUCCESS! I started to breathe again, thinking that she would've rejected the invitation. The lights go down and the music commences. The program I'm sure was exhilarating however my mind was in the dreams and melodies of being with this girl sitting next to me. You could say that this song right now playing was in my head the entire time. Imagine seeing a body of 200 students playing all kinds of wind instruments, pianos, strings, and percussion all the while hearing a quartet of funky jazz jiving with guest artists laying down the tracks of hip groovy love. I thought I even saw a disco ball drop down from the ceiling right above me. I was the luckiest man there in the entire state of Idaho, better yet the U.S., no wait the world. I couldn't believe it...she said yes. It was paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment