Saturday, April 20, 2013

you're outta your mind


There have been maybe three times in my earthly existence that the opening title has been said to me in a serious manner. The first one was my friend trying to rescue me from jogging during a blizzard in Wyoming (That's a whole other entry), the second was when I was trying to describe something to a complete stranger, and the third one was from myself. Alright storytime, I stayed up all night at a friend's house once (no literally, his mom was so mad at us, that the next morning she lectured both of us on how if you do bad things, you go to hell). Anyways, I went home and said hi to my folks then crashed in my room. I woke up thinking it was morning. I looked outside and it was still dark. Going into the living room I saw that no one was home. The clock on the oven read 9:30. "9:30? Where'd the sun go?" I tried to call my friend, but there was no dial tone. Puzzled, troubled, and hungry, I poured a bowl of cereal, ate, turned on the T.V. There weren't any cartoons on or anything of a "good morning" feel. In fact, they were airing stuff like Letterman, the Halloween movie, and some ER episode. "What is going on here?" In spite of all the obvious clues that it was probably PM and not AM I still didn't get it. By this point I was convinced that I through my sleep I slipped into another dimension that was replicating this one. I was to reside there for who knew how long. I already started making plans for how I would return to my home. I went even further off my rocker by conducting "tests" to learn more about this "altered universe". Gravity. . . check, able to think for myself. . . check, feel pain (OW!). . . check. I was already trying to locate the "open portal" from which I came until It then hit me, I finally saw the date. The realization of regaining my bearings came so subtley. It was still the same day I got back. Everything started to make sense to me. It was nighttime, my parents went to the store and my sister was at a friend's house, and the phone. . . .still didn't have a dial tone. That remains to this day an unsolved mystery...


1 comment: