Friday, April 12, 2013

you must be this tall



Standing there in the hot summer sun looking up at the rails and supports holding up the massive intertwined tracks I thought; "How the crap did I get myself into this?". Rollercoasters. They were like sandworms to me if I was Beetlejuice. From such a small age I disliked them to the 1,000th power. As a child I went on rides like Space Mountain and Star Tours to which my mom probably would have permanent nerve damage to her right arm from me giving her the death grip as I was catapulted all throughout. Since then growing up I was the one who would stay behind and miss out while others in my party would go on. Not this day however. . . I was in line waiting with a friend who was my unaware moral support. Honestly, this time nobody knew that I had this internal fear, so I tried to play it cool and get in line with them. Once again it goes back to the "How the crap did I get myself into this?" He then makes the suggestion that we should be in the very front. "Sure!" with the most faked enthusiasm. The lines move up. The ride swooshes past with deafening screams all twisted and up-side down above us as we're waiting. The anxiety started to intensify and there was no turning back. I started to get stomach cramps, cold sweats, and bad breath. Eventually we were seated and the bars went over our shoulders. I then out of desperation asked if I could "use the bathroom". "Too late dude, its about to start". Aw fetch! There was a loud clank, the motors were turning. A few yelps of excitement came from the back as we were pulling forward. Right away we ascended up to our doom. My "moral support" already bailed on me through screaming; "THIS IS IT WE'RE GONNA DIE". Cheezy signs are posted saying; "No turning back now". We reached the top and it slowly rode the rails to the descent. There was a moment of silence and tranquility. At that very second my spirit animal visited me in the form of a dolphin and told me that everything was going to be alright. No, I'm kidding just a distinct thought came to me with the lines of; "Keep your eyes open, you'll enjoy it". Instantly we went rocket turbo speed with the turns and loops and twists. I could hear someone's change fall out in the back seats. I thought I heard a girl choking the person to her right while screaming in Russian (that was not me). I was in another dimension and LOVIN IT! It felt like I found a cheat secret to a video game. Something changed in me that day. HALLELEUJAH (not sure if I spelled that right), I WAS CONVERTED!! After that, I went on every other ride. I then could partake with the rest of the fold. Like Bill Murray on the sailboat, I overcame my fears and sailed; "A-HOY!" I mean I just let the boat do all the work that was my secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment