Thursday, April 18, 2013

quit stalling



I am a people person. . .somewhat, and compassionate towards my fellowman. However, there is something about using a public restroom that makes my skin crawl. I mean if you think about it you are sharing a room with strangers doing the business you were programmed and designed to do since birth. It might seem even worse if its in a room with people you know. Imagine trying to call someone or talking to a friend outside the door. Doesn't that just feel like they are violating a code or a natural law? I might be making this more awkward than this needs to be. A couple of years ago I worked graveyards at an airport. I had the private restrooms memorized and plotted out for when to use them. My "schedule" was clocked around when the rush of passengers would be arriving and leaving to use those. If they were occupied, I was done for and would have to make the hike several miles worth of walking to find an open private one. What can I say? I like my space and privacy. In basic training, you are never alone. There was a 20 stall bathroom and you only had five minutes at best to do your business and then run like the wind. With that I knew I had to overcome the "Monk" or OCDness inside me and just go with the rest . . . also I held it all in for the first 2 days. It wasn't so bad, that was until someone started to read aloud their letter from home mentioning that his girlfriend left him for a chef, and then he started to cry while on the toilet, and then others would try to comfort him WHILE ON THE TOILET. It started to feel like the Twilight Zone. I just remembered finishing, flushing, washing my hands and leaving the bathroom without saying a single word. Once I was outside, THEN I expressed my condolensces to the poor soldier. So for those who need to change their set of crying twin babies and find that the family restroom is locked and occupied, I apologize in advance.   

1 comment:

  1. with a pair of twin babies, in a coupe with the windows shut and the heater up to the mid 80's. shut my.

    ReplyDelete