Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Diner Date

Her name was the headline to several films of that genre. Nathan's story was the other end of all this. Nathan, the one who was guiled into the scene of this ungodly world, ever chained to the confinements of his “self-made prison”. Was this supposed to be closure for him - becoming an accomplice to doing something that could bring all of it to its rightfully-timed-destruction? He exited down the cold staircase, passing the mailboxes, through the storefront doors, and onto the extra wide sidewalks in the shadows of the tall hi-rises of mid-town. The coffee shop was in view from where he was standing. It was a dark early Thursday morning, around 5:32 at Joe’s. 

Nathan entered in the quiet café only to spot the scattered stragglers from both the closing graveyard and early bird shifts.

“So . . .” Her eyes look into his, locked and eager to start on this rendezvous. “…where are you from?” The nervousness fades quickly as the conversation gets going.  He takes his seat across from her. “Me? Seattle, Washington.” He barely got all that out there trying to not let his voice crack like some pre-teen rookie not sure of himself.

Her hands surround her cup of coffee as if it were a hand warmer. “Aw, that’s nice. I’m well. I was born in Easton, PA. I was raised with four older brothers.” He removed his coat while she continued talking. After more conversation, it was apparent to Nathan how this woman led a legacy of torment masked by the glitter and cameras. In her countenance, it was noted the absence of inner rest and that she was forever tired from it

"You know this could be really dangerous, especially if you get caught even attempting this. Where would you begin? There are so many avenues to how people make these - all over the web! I mean, we're talking a multi-billion dollar industry here. They probably could pay off the nation's debt in a couple year's revenue." He said to her almost scared for her, but knew that she was a big girl and could take care of herself far better than anyone could.

"I have my ways of doing things. I have several contacts and connections that can aid this cause wherever in the world. When I say I'm bringing this down - I mean it. And this time, I'm not going to let them up for air. They are going to pay for what they've done."

After she spoke, Nathan pushes out a small silver tape recorder to the center of the table, "You sure you want to do this?" He asked her while clicking on the record button. She tears up looking at him with fiery indignation swelling up from within as if holding back for a question like this,

"If that means that I am here to pay back the deeds that have been done on me and to overthrow that unholy empire for the tens of millions of casualties who have gone before me and who will after me for the lucrative offers that enslave the gullible, then yes, I am so ready. Play that damn tape."     

"Go ahead and state your name and what you're planning to do," Nathan said after leaning into the recorder.

"My name is Lisa and I am overthrowing the industry. Here is how..."


No comments:

Post a Comment