Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A Drive-Thru Romance

“Hi welcome to All Burger, how may I take your order?”

Sheila rolls down her window while in tears and proceeds to lean over to speak into the mic. However, nothing comes out and she trembles with her lips quivering.

“Hello? Is someone there?”

“JAKE IS A GIANT PIECE OF ….” Sheila screams into the intercom while incessantly honking her horn, drowning out her own voice. A pause goes by as he is trying to figure out how to react to all of this.

“Umm…well uh…”

“Oh nevermind! You wouldn’t understand what this feels like – no one does. It’s just that I gave him two years of my life and for what? So that he could just dump me and chase after Vanessa? Really? Vanessa!! WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS? SHE DOESN’T EVEN GO TO OUR SCHOOL!” Sheila now resumes crying into the intercom. Luckily no cars are behind her.

“Look, I’m terribly sorry and trust me when I say this, but we suck. In fact, I apologize on behalf of the Male gender. We can be real dogs sometimes.”

“I know! More like all the time!” Sheila shouts before going into more tears.
A couple of cars pull into the parking lot, still none behind her in the drive thru. After several more episodes of Sheila’s wailing and gnashing of teeth, the man on the intercom manages to respond.

“Tell me about yourself,” Asks the man’s voice on the intercom. Her tone changes as she is thrown off guard.

“Oh umm, well, I graduate next year and am looking into Brown.”

“Nice! That sounds great! What do you hope to study there?”

“I was looking into Oncology, I lost my Aunt to it and I want to help others.” Sheila answers now with more fervency in her voice as she calms down. She now turns her car off to conserve gas seeing that it is currently 12:36 at night and there was for sure no sign of any cars coming to give orders.

“What about you?” Sheila asks the man on the intercom.

“Me?”

“Well yeah, I told you a little about me. So, now its your turn.”

“I graduated last year from Mount Pleasant, and I was saving up for California, but yeah that’s not going to happen.”

Sheila now gets out of her car and sits on the hood, “Yeah, I am at Hope,”

“Oh, you’re one of those people.” The intercom’s voice changes as if he were smiling on the other side.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Well its just that the College Hill and Blackstone crowd tend to just get their way with anything in life.”

Sheila starts to laugh to herself, “Ok, don’t get it twisted. I know people think that that area is really rich and all, but I’m from the rougher part.”

“Rougher part? We live in Rhode Island. Name me one rough part.” The intercom laughs.

“Ok, ok. I thought I could keep it real, but you got me.” Sheila sighs while looking up. The intercom buzzes from the back feed static.

“So what about California, why isn’t it ‘going to happen’ for you?” Sheila asks while turning her head toward the intercom.

“I’d like to get into film, but I’m far from ready on trying to chase that dream.” The intercom replies.

“Have you made some stuff already?”

“Yeah, I’ve released some online and there is actually a piece I submitted for a festival down in Cranston.”

“Well it sounds like you are already on your way. Don’t quit on yourself.” Sheila answers soberly. There is another pause with the distant crickets and the still midnight air.

“Well, hey umm…this might sound really lame, but would you like to go with me? It’s this Friday.”

Sheila sits up – completely off guard.

“Umm...Are you asking me out?”

“Well, I figured it was fate that you came here out of all the All Burgers in Providence and just so happen to –“

“Sure…I’d love to. Oh and uh, can I get a number 3? No pickles, please?” Sheila starts to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment