Friday, February 24, 2017

5 Squad Cars, 4 Engines, an Ambulance and a Chief at 1 House

Loud sirens play into my music as I'm running through a quiet street, I mute myself only to see two fire trucks speeding past me. I stop to take a moment and try to see where they are going.

I resume and continue down the same street they were heading down. The track on the shuffle changes and then more red lights flash from behind. This time it is an ambulance. As I move further down the street, a series of red and blue flashes projects from a certain spot of the neighborhood I am slowly approaching. What could it be? I wonder to myself. Another fire engine horn blasts off. I turn my head to the left looking down the street parallel to me and see a large blur of more red engines speeding towards the gathering of the other lights. Seriously this must be bad if there are that many engines and a paramedic. Now I’m only a block from where they all are and now the fire chief speeds through with another engine!? As I get close enough to the scene, I noticed a handful of squad cars are there as well – closing off a section of the street they are on, centered on one house in the middle.

“Hey what are you doing?” Another runner crouches next to me as we attempt to hide behind some shrubs from a street on the corner of where the action is.

“How are there that many emergency units covering a small house in this city? Who are those in the hazmat suits?” I whisper-yell to the runner beside me.

“I don’t know, but there was something like this a couple of days ago down the street where I’m at.”

“What happened?”

“I couldn’t really tell because they…” He is interrupted as some shouting comes from inside the house they are surrounding.

               “…just take it easy…we are getting you out of your house…will take care of you…walk slowly…”

               “…I’M NOT LEAVING…THIS HOUSE HAS BEEN HERE SINCE….”

“Can you hear anything from inside there?” I ask.

“Not really, but I think they are trying to evacuate whoever is in there.”

               “…YOU COME IN HERE…AND TRY TO TAKE ME…ALL BECAUSE THAT…FACTORY OR PLANT…IS MISMANAGED…”

               “…we just want to help…please…with us…”

               “…HOW MANY OTHERS HAVE BEEN INFECTED…HOW ARE YOU...FIX THIS…”

“I heard something about a –”

“HEY YOU! GET OUT OF HERE NOW!” A fireman shouts at us but then turns quickly to see the house collapse in on itself. Response teams scramble quickly as a rush of cloud vanishes everything.  

“Did this happen at the one you saw?” I yell to the other guy as we run to take cover.



No comments:

Post a Comment