Tuesday, March 26, 2013

big shout out to the garden city


On a breezy day while standing at the edge of the ferry boat approaching British Columbia's capital, her majesty the great Victoria herself. I spread my arms and shouted out loud; "SALUT CANADA!" It was kind of a dare from a friend of mine. It was in the early summer once that I took a trip with him and his family. Out of all the places I've been to thus far, Victoria is one that I hold dear to my heart. That was my second time in Canada. The first time was Vancouver. That wasn't so great mainly because my brother and I got lost there. We went without a map or a plan. We ended up spending most of the time trying to find our way into the city and then right away leaving to get back to Washington. Traveling can be very exciting. The moment of experiencing somewhere new. Even the stop signs and road markers can be marveled at by how different they can appear. There is a new smell to a place, an emotion can be created by simply being in an area that you are unfamiliar with. The atmosphere could evoke a mood or a vibe. In Victoria, the impression that was instilled on me was very friendly, kind, and open to visitors. Now I am sure it could have been a very negative visit had I been mugged or lost, but I went with veterans who used to live there and who knew the best places and attractions to see. In downtown near the ports there are street performers and musicians. Such talent for everyone to enjoy. There is a deli and bakery in uptown by the name of Captain Cook's. They have these éclairs that are soooo rich, it was a tradition that you could not finish it completely. Otherwise you would need a shot of insulin. In downtown near the financial district in a certain alley there is a mural of street tag. Some of the best I have ever seen. There was Arbutus Cove where I slipped and fell in a tide pool from attempting to scale the wall of a cliff. There were purple jellyfish waiting for me at the bottom. I made it out alive though. There was the comic book shop on Johnson Street in downtown which if memory serves me correct had shelves and shelves of every possible selection you could find. It was there that I discovered how the candy Smarties actually depict M&Ms and the drink Five Alive is a can of citrus delight. The currency there is more, granted things are more expensive there, but to a fourteen year old I thought of it as the country's generosity. I really admired the architecture there which mimicked the heritage and influence of their founders from France. My friend and I got around on bike and would go through the university campus there to get to downtown. There is such diversity and culture. Students come from all over the world to attend university there. To me it is still to this day one of the best places to visit. 

3 comments:

  1. yes. this makes me wax all nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love BC Canada. My aunt lives just in Vancouver and I hope to one day visit Victoria. Maybe someday when I have time for a vacay. Kevin and I thought it would be nice to come down and see the four of you. That is when the summer is over. We would love to see your new stomping grounds. Maybe Arizona will become one of our favorite places. They say where favorite people are... favorite spaces become favorite places. Okay that rhymed, and I guess they don't say. I SAY! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete