Thursday, March 28, 2013

that just burns my toast


BLEEPITY! BLEEP! BLEEP! THAT BLANKETY BLEEPER!! Its a miracle how the kids of these kind of parents (including me) really don't pick up on that pig latin until they're in the fourth grade at the playground (That was my elementary school, sad I know). There is always something that sets us off. Getting your thumb smashed by a hammer, the cat jumping in the toilet bowl while you are doing your business (I apologize if you were reading this while eating). The list goes on. Waking up on the wrong side of the bed can be a true statement, especially if you live on the fourth floor and the wrong side of the bed happens to be where an open window is and you accidently fall out. I know for me there are times where something just sets me off. I like to think of this illustrated through this one music video I saw of an alternative heavy band. There was this really big aggressive looking dude who plays a taxi driver and he's getting yelled at by all his customers. He patiently takes it all in. The scene then changes showing him walk down a really busy sidewalk in NYC, and people keep shoving and bumping him as they pass by. His face goes shocked with disbelief at every blow, but he still holds it in. After showing the sidewalk scene, the shot changes where he's with his band and he lets it all out on the mic. He spills out all his anger through singing or I should say shouting the lyrics to the song. Which is a good idea to let it out in positive ways. No one gets hurt, except maybe ear drums. Channeling unwanted emotions could be like the grounding of electrical equipment. It creates a path for electricity to go to without shocking anyone. Ok, one more story then I'll finish. We were driving to the store. Life was good. The sun was up and the birds were chirping. I was in the wrong lane trying to cross over to the far right. Without looking over my shoulder OR CHECKING MY MIRRORS I went for it. In consequence of my actions I cut someone off causing a chain reaction of events making him drive up beside me and holding down his horn while giving me the international greeting. This caused me to mimic his actions by holding down my horn and saluting back. It would make for a great auto insurance commercial. We maybe shared that magical moment for about 100 feet while in motion down the road. He then sped off and I turned in to the store parking lot. I wanted justice and gratification supposing that I was wronged. I waited in the car, gathered my thoughts and took a couple of yoga breaths.  Logic must have missed the shuttle to my brain that day and caught the next one because I right then finally saw the light. I mean, I did cut him off. What good would it have done me to return fire to the "victim"? Seeing all of it play back in my head it suddenly made me roll on the floor laughing. It was pretty funny to see us act that way. I mean two grown men, he's probably a father and so am I. We teach our kids to share and to not hit others and here we are back to a primitive state thinking tough or "HANGIN TOUGH". Not really though, just being idiots together. That is why I now use my blinkers.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! That reminds me of Kevin. He is always getting annoyed at other drivers for doing the very things he does. I just nod my head and say. "I know somebody else who does that." He always know what I am talking about, and just laughs about it. I think laughing at your mistakes and letting anger out in positive ways is good. If I am angry I just leave the room a while, think about it, collect my thoughts, and then try to resolve it as calmly as possible. Although I have had those explosions where I just burst it all out in a micro phone (not to proud of that) but we all have time to improve ourselves and become more calm in our reactions to things that annoy us. We just need to learn to take "Yoga Breaths." LOL!

    ReplyDelete