Thursday, March 21, 2013

that song from Cake


I love to run. It's not new to me. I first started running as a little Mexican kid from the dogs in our neighborhood with my cousins which evolved to bullies and then morphed into track and field in junior high and high school, then as a sweaty missionary for the LDS church in South America, and recently because a red faced spit throwin' middle aged angry sergeant was yelling move faster at my lagging butt. Ironically because of these stress induced sprints I've found running long distances a fantastic way to cope with stress as a father and a husband. . .not that my family is the cause of my stress, I love them. Running has been good to me. There is something about it. Like Rihanna once said; "I gotta to get my body moving, shake the stress away". Think of it like how a refrigerator ice machine has large clumps of ice. The machine is clogged like stress, and running is the ice pick that you use to stab at the clump. What a relief to release all the day's tension and in its place inner peace can develop, allowing ideas and inspiration to pour out. I hear inspirational classic 80's rock themes from Journey to Pat Benatar's Shadow of the Night pulsing vividly in my mind as I hit the pavement. Each exhale brings with it images of fireworks blasting in the near distance with crowds of people on each side of the street, frantically cheering me on. There are jets flying above me. I get fired up with motives that cannot be contained from within and feel I can solve the world's problems. Presidential campaigns, cures to the worlds most plagued diseases, and every beauty pageants dream of world peace all seem to be within my minds grasp. By golly, this is the shiz-nak. I freakin' love it! If I were to somehow lose my legs, I would use my arms in a wheel chair, if I where to lose my arms, I would just rock and roll on the floor, if for some reason my head and body were disconnected and the doctors were still able to keep me alive as just a head I would just open and close my jaw for an hour a day-either way I will work and shake that stress away!
Hey. . .that rhymed.

2 comments:

  1. Ahem. I shall be the first to comment. what a grand aspiration and goal to write everyday. not only would one have tons of material in a short time to look back on, but also one becomes a good writer and speaker by getting thoughts together on paper. of the hand full of things I think would change the world if everybody did, writing would be one of them. sailing, skiing and motorcycling also. may we hone our skill and do better every day. Mark, my brother, you inspire me more than you know.love, JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Mark. I have been wanting to read your posts but have not found the time. I thought I would do a bit of light reading before bed and decided I should take time to read my brothers blog. I mean your like a brother to me and missy a sister. Seriously you are my best friends. Anywhooo i loved this post because often when I am working out, cleaning, or doing anything that requires me to move... it always makes me think about life. It makes me think about the things that matter. Then again sometimes I just think about random stuff too. I guess we all need to think seriously as well as randomly. Its good for our souls Glad you found something you enjoy that allows you to shakee that stress away and lets you think. Keep writin

    ReplyDelete