Saturday, March 23, 2013

how to get over the wall


Projects are funny. For me the emotions of hope, joy, pressure of intense inadequacy always seem to accompany them coming and going in variations of intensity. When confronted with one of these emotions such as inadequacy it would feel overbearing and make you stop dead in your tracks and run to the nearest exit. Luckily all is not lost in spite of stumped ideas and writer's blocks. I have huge dreams like anybody else to create masterpieces in life and while it is true that it takes effort and work to overcome those obstacles, there is still a solution by simply putting one foot in front of the other and pressing on. In my early youth I was deemed by my mother as supersensitive. To my four year old mind I envisioned this to be like a super hero power. Things for me appear much more dramatic than what it actually is in reality. Recently in working on a character for a story, I was working hard to create his personality and how he thought, spoke, and acted. One night, I felt that overwhelming feeling of inadequacy during dinner. My mind was elsewhere and not at the dinner table. I was at a low and grew very doubtful if I could even take on the story that I started. I felt I lost the voice of this protagonist and didn't have a story to finish. I then excused myself and went into the bedroom to go pout it out on the bed. Through thinking hard and trying to be optimistic I realized that I was not alone. Thinking back to history almost all creators and artists have been through these trial periods. For example, there were a pair of musicians who started off traveling long hard distances from city to city in Canada playing at pubs not knowing if they were going to make it in the music industry and now after 14 years they stuck it and continued to work at it and now are on their seventh album playing sold out arenas. There was another band that was on the verge of breaking up but made another album instead, through that album they poured out all their heartaches and troubles into their songs giving it color and feeling. Now that record is known by millions. Another example was a young athlete who was cut from the junior high basketball team. This boy could've used that as an excuse to try other things but regardless he pushed through and continued to practice night and day and that man went on to be a legend in the history of the NBA. Through talking about my stupor of inspiration with my wife I have learned that all creators, artists, and anyone with plans and goals have highs and lows. There are struggles, frustrations, and discouragements to overcome. I feel that without those hard moments we will never shine or become masters at what we love to do. Like a lump of coal when put under extreme amounts of pressure will eventually turn into a sparkling diamond. We just need to press on and to do what Dora once said; "just keep swimming".

1 comment:

  1. Loved your analogy of the coal turning into a diamond. That really hit me hard and made me think about challenges in my own life. I thought it would be sweet to write a book that turns into a huge franchise like Harry Potter, Twilight, anything that could be seen, read, and hear by millions. I would love to come up with something like that. I have thought about it I just can never wrap my mind around what I would write. I have no clue. Maybe someday I will get some kind of inspiration. But I am at a all time writers block that may never pass. I mean at least you have ideas for numerous books. I don't even have that. I guess if I worked at it though and though long and hard maybe I could turn coal into a diamond.

    ReplyDelete