Monday, August 19, 2013

the "super toy run" theory


Life is too short and so is one minute - sixty seconds. There used to be a kid contest sponsored through Nickelodeon where the lucky winner would be deemed one minute to run through a Toys R Us store with only one shopping cart, he had to shovel in as many toys as he could. This kid had to really book it seeing that there were Legos, action figures (the timeline was around the early 90's, so you know this was all high quality) Matchbox cars, and countless NES/SNES/Sega Genesis video games to be claimed without the nagging of parents and washing your dog for a couple of nickels twice a week to someday be able to afford a fraction of what lied ahead of him. What made it even more "at-the-edge-of-your-seat" was the finish line. It didn't matter the bulk spoils he piled in his cart, if he couldn't cross that finish line within the minute time frame, game over. All would be lost. I can't shake the feeling of how precious time here can be modeled after this contest. For me it might have to be books and music. With music there is sooooo much out there. It's like outer space. You could spend a lifetime in a single genre (or sector of planets) and still have galaxies of other really good sounds sitting there unexplored. Like that kid on the Super Toy Run contest, I bolt through the spacious warehouse with my left arm out scraping in everything from the shelf into my cart while struggling to steady my direction. With books, it's even more difficult, I do enjoy reading A LOT, however I can be a slow reader and it takes extra time for me to soak into a book while work and family are my main concerns. Have you ever felt like that? There is only so much we can be exposed to, also like a gourmet buffet line, there's only so much your stomach can hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment