Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Mended Hearts Crossing

“Okay mom fine, I’m sorry I lied. I knew you were going to say no anyways!” Jess yells back to her mother who is doing 70 down the state highway 112 late for her other daughter's recital in Clallam Bay.

“I knew it! It’s moments like this where I can’t trust you! I asked you about your homework, your chores, and if you going to youth activity’s’ night, but instead you were running around with that Angela girl probably smoking pot or whatever the hell it is kids are doing nowadays!” Her mother yells over the radio. 

The tips of the Evergreens brush past in a blurred haze slashing the gray forecast sky. The two-way road winds into an endless trance curving through the dark forest and back out into the open grass. The mother reaches over to turn down the stereo. “And when did you learn to listen to this trash?” Jess rushes in to change it back, this time cranking it higher. “Oh hell no, you are not going to act like this young lady.” The mother insists with authority in her tone. “Angela is not like that mom, she was framed.”

“Excuse me, FRAMED?”

“Tyler planted that in her locker and now everyone thinks that she is a druggie.”

YOU ARE 14 YEARS OLD AND I’M ALREADY HAVING THIS CONVERSATION WITH YOU??” 

The mother yells looking over to Jess.

“MOM LOOK OUT!!!”

The windshield shatters instantly bulging into the car with the entire vehicle spinning off the road all within a few seconds. A heavy figure slides off the hood and slumps to the middle of the road. After a few moments Jess sits there frozen in terror. “Mom? MOM? ARE YOU OKAY? MOM?” Jess cries out.

Her mother opens her eyes with her hands midway raised as if about to push something away. “I’m fine dear, are you okay?”
Jess starts to cry, “I’m fine mom but the airbags didn’t deploy,”

“I know sweetie. Can you move?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

After several minutes, the two work their way out of the car which appears normal in the back however twisted from the front bumper to the windshield wipers. Jess calmly takes her time regaining her balance. “Jess, honey, I don’t think it’s safe to walk. You should sit down and wait for help to get here.”

“Did we hit that?” Jess asks faintly while approaching the furred mass laid out on the double line divider. She discovers it was an adolescent deer – miraculously untouched. “Mom! Quick! We need to help her!” Jess says as she kneels down beside the deer. The animal’s head is now resting on her lap as Jess quietly sobs. From the deer’s eye runs a small tear of blood. “Jess! Don’t touch…” Her mother stops herself mid-sentence swallowed up in emotion as well. Jess runs her hands over the crown gently.

“Do you think it was quick? Do you think she felt anything?”

There is silence while the mother approaches her daughter and kneels down.

“Look mom, I’m sorry about lying to you. I don’t want to lose your trust.”

Jess is encircled by her mother.

"And I need to trust you more and be more open to hearing your side of the story.

"I'm so sorry mom."

“It’s okay, it’s okay.”






    

No comments:

Post a Comment