Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Mar-Queso Feature: DAVID A. SMITH



It is with great honor to present to you David A. Smith, best known for photographing countless shows that have come through the Southern Area of the United States. He has built his legacy on capturing the moments of several major acts such as Sara Evans, Carrie Underwood, Tegan and Sara, Ra Ra Riot, and CeeLo Green to name a few. His photographs have been used and licensed by AOL, Buzzfeed, Entertainment Weekly, ESPN, The New York Times, Time, Vanity Fair, and many more. On top of all his accomplishments, he is also known for photographing portraits and wedding events. David currently resides in Birmingham, Alabama.

MQ: How did you get into photography? How many years have you been doing it?

DS: I picked up photography strictly as a hobby after I graduated college in 2004. It was something I was interested in doing and had friends doing as well. I didn’t know what I was doing, though, but I just went out and tried a lot of trial and error. As for concert photography, that didn’t start, consistently, until around 2007 or so. I lived in Tuscaloosa, Alabama – a college town, so there were always local shows to photograph.


MQ: That is so cool. I’ve had several friends in high school who would photograph local shows from behind the curtain. What was some of the equipment you would use, starting out? How would you get the shots just right with the lighting being so dark?

DS: When I was first staring out, I was using a Canon Digital Rebel and basic kit lenses. I would then work up to using a 40D and 50D as other earlier bodies. I had non-DSLR cameras before that, but the Rebel was the first. As for lighting, well, I had no idea you weren't supposed to use a flash. I mean I had zero concept about the "rules" and we're also talking about local non-credentialed shows. I used an external flash for those local shows. It's something I wouldn't do now, but I have zero apologies for doing it then.


MQ: What were some of your most memorable moments at a show you were able to capture through the camera (if it's even possible to narrow it down)?

DS: Oh... there are lots. If I had to narrow one down, it would be the night in July of 2010 when I went to Egan's Bar, where I usually shot shows in Tuscaloosa, to see who was playing that particular Saturday night. Summer is always a slow time in town so I didn't expect much. Turns out it was this band from north Alabama called "The Shakes". I was like "They're pretty damn good for a Saturday night in July band". A year or so later... they blew up, started getting momentum, and changed their name to "Alabama Shakes". I mean they are literally why I'm doing credentialed shows now so that first show I saw them do will always stick with me.


MQ: The Alabama Shakes?? They're huge now! Oh wow that's really neat. When these shows go on, what is it that you look for as a photographer? What makes your camera go click, in that moment they are performing?

DS: When I shoot a show now, I'm looking for emotion from the performer. I'm looking for energy. I'm looking for some type of expression. The photograph has to tell the story of the performance. From a practical point of view, I'm looking for adequate to decent lighting, a good solid shot of at least the artist's face, and similar things like that. I make my money by the photo being able to clearly identify the artist on stage.


MQ: When you started out in your craft, would you have to fight for a good spot to shoot? Or was there always some sort of accommodation to where you could set up for a good vantage point?

DS: When I was shooting at bars, which were very small and tight, I'd usually get up front early and stay there. Most people knew who I was so it'd never be a problem in getting to where I needed to be.


MQ: I have to ask, what was it like to see Carrie Underwood, Blink 182, Chromeo, Tegan and Sara, St. Lucia, and even GWAR live on stage???? How were you preparing to capture them through the lens?

DS: They all put on really good and entertaining shows. Each group and act know the value of putting on a visual performance. GWAR was nuts because you have to duck and dodge all the stuff they throw into the crowd. As for preparation, I do standard research for each act I cover, including seeing current photos to get an idea of how their stage set up looks and what kind of lighting to expect. I try not to go into any show blind.


MQ: Aside from all the shows you've photographed, what about your other projects with wedding portraits and profiles of people you have captured. How did you get into that? Or was that in the beginning of your endeavor?

DS: Aside from shows, I have a completely separate side of the business to handle my weddings, portraits, and events work. It's under a different but similar name as I wanted a clear and distinct difference in the eyes of the public. When I started out, I didn't think I'd do weddings. I was happy just experimenting with things, shooting high school football and the local shows. A friend got married and I offered to do his photography as a gift. It was a very small outdoor wedding. When I did that, I was like "Well, I might was well jump feet first into this". I started doing weddings full on in 2010 and love doing them. I learned a lot about how to do them from shooting high school football. Both are all about anticipation of movement, being in the right place at the right time, and thinking on your feet.


MQ: That's really neat! So lastly I just wanted to ask about any advice you may have for those looking to start taking up photography?

DS: If you do take up photography, just get out and practice. See what works and see what doesn't. Trial and error is key in the learning process. I also encourage people to find their particular style and look. Don't worry about copying the look of other photographers. Do what appeals to you and let others find it.


For more information and to see his work, you can visit his sites at the following links:



No comments:

Post a Comment