Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Closing Up



I look at the calendar and see my name is up for closing tonight. Not a big deal, I think to myself. I check my watch, quarter to 6. “JACOB!” That’s my name that the boss from the other office down the hall is shouting. That’s the big man – literally, he’s huge, built like a rock. Nothing could stop him. He clicks away on his keyboard while never looking up at me.

               “Have a seat.” He says with almost a grunt. His office is decorated with family photos and several hunting trips and dirtbikes with what looks like maybe…his grandkids? The typing stops and a slam of one of his desk drawer snaps shut.

               “Alright Jacob,” His voice now is softer. “This would be your first time closing up. We are expecting three more truck deliveries to get in tonight around 11, so it’s your lucky night to wait for them to get here. We’re expecting over five thousand pounds of copper scrap coming in. Normally I would do it myself being that we are the only scrap yard east of the Mississippi that processes and resells that kind of material, but tonight I need to be in Pittsburgh.” He resumes clicking away at the keyboard some more.

               “No biggie really, you just need to stay awake, periodically check the monitors and sign off on the deliveries. Too easy.” He finishes with a short pause. “Oh and uh, do you like clowns?”

               “Excuse me?”

               “Clowns!”

               “Not particularly,”

               “Well, you’ll hate these ones. Unemployed idiots come around the site dressed like maniac clowns. They’re harmless, the police already know about these sightings, just call it in if you see them trespassing, but yeah. Any questions?”

No biggie, I think to myself. I excuse myself and leave the office and head back to my desk.

The last man leaves the trailer for the day. Immediately after, I unplug my headphones and let the music play fill the room. I respond to the ding from the microwave and pull out leftovers. My watch now reads 7:40 pm. Monitors show nothing out of the ordinary. I catch up on some TV – enjoying the quiet.

Currently it is now 9:10 at night, I re-check the monitors again. One of the screens show the entrance gate was never locked. No biggie, I think to myself as I go into the far end of the trailer to find a flashlight. Outside is a little windy with some street lights dotting the open yard with shadows of piled material forming small dark mountains. I speed through the open towards the gate much like how some might take the trash out at night. Once there, I quickly lock it and then the trailer door behind me in the distance, slams shut. Don’t get crazy, the wind is picking up. My eyes play tricks on me thinking there are silhouettes standing by the mounds of scraps in the dark. No, that’s impossible the dogs would have barked if they knew someone was there. And just like that, the dogs start to bark with the wind picking up. I bolt for the trailer door. Inside the trailer, I end up psyching myself out by trying to remember if I left the lights off in some of the rooms or not. I’m quickly losing it.
The furnace for the water heater kicks in inside the closet next to the bathroom. Nothing is in the trailer! Just cool it! You’re a grown man! I snap myself out of it. 

It’s now 10:23 pm. I go back to watching TV calming myself down until I hear the horn of a semi-truck from outside. I unlock the trailer door and head outside towards the headlights as the diesel engine gets louder.

“You got some trespassers coming in and out of your yard here!” The trucker shouts over the engine. I scared them off but those punk kids’ll probably be back.”

“Yeah, I heard the dogs barking....” The man looks over down the road and sees something in a black gown wearing a white mask. The trucker and myself are frozen in place. 

“You are trespassing – you shouldn’t be here!” 

The figure walks backwards slowly disappearing into the tall crop field. I sigh while thinking to myself, they don’t pay me enough for this job.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment